PRINCIPAL SYSTEMS ENGINEER - SYSTEMS ARCHITECT
Sierra Nevada Corporation
Location: Englewood Colorado
Time: 6 days ago
Principal Systems Engineer - Systems Architect
Posted 2 Days Ago
job requisition id
Candidates should consider this position for employment with Sierra Space. This position is for interim employment under Sierra Nevada Corporation, then employment will transition to Sierra Space in the near term, as part of a strategic business partnership.
The Principal Systems Engineer – Systems Architect will participate on the Systems Architecture and Model Based Systems Engineering team within the Mission and Systems Engineering Integration organization. The successful candidate will work within the program’s model-based systems engineering environment to define and capture system architectures for a novel system-of-systems development effort. The Principal Systems Engineer – Systems Architect will lead a highly technical team of system architects to gather information from subject matter expert design and analysis engineers and use this input to develop operational, functional/behavioral and physical views within the system model.
The ISR (Intelligence, Surveillance & Reconnaissance), Aviation, and Security (IAS) business area is a leader in ISR and aviation, it is a leading prime manned and unmanned aircraft systems integrator for innovative, high-performance ISR and aviation systems. Its end-to-end Command, Control, Computers, Communications and Intelligence, Surveillance & Reconnaissance (C4ISR) capabilities encompass design, integration, test, certification, ground/flight training and complete logistics support. IAS tailors solutions to customer cost, performance, and schedule requirements and designs to consistently exceed expectations – with an unrivaled record of on time and on (or under) budget deliveries.
Bachelor's of Science degree in System Engineering or related discipline and typically 14 or more years of relevant experience
Demonstrated knowledge of engineering principles and practices
Progressive experience working in multi-disciplinary design and development teams
Advanced understanding of requirements management, functional requirements parsing, derivation, and allocation; systems design, systems integration, technical risk identification and management strategies, and Verification and Validation (V&V) principles
- Ability to logically parse and organize system-of-systems design information at the system, element and subsystem levels.
- Ability to develop, or understand, air and/or space domain design reference missions, mission vignettes and system CONOPS.
- Ability to drive system design and element/subsystem interactions that meet mission goals while satisfying overall system requirements and system KSAs/KPPs.
- Experience integrating modern mission system capabilities and developing mission system functionality to include interactions and internal operations of hardware, software controllers and mission software (Operational Flight Programs).
- Experience developing two or more of: System, Segment, Element, Subsystem and Software Requirements.
- Thorough understanding of inter- and intra-subsystem interfaces, both logical and physical.
- Ability to work and communicate with technical and specialty subject matter expert engineers to derive and capture design data and requirements across a system of systems.
- Desire for new challenges, to be on the ground floor of an exciting capability for our nation, and to be part of the initial cadre developing a new multi-domain system.
- Experience working on multi-disciplinary design and development teams.
- Master’s of Science degree in Systems Engineering or related field.
- Broad experience touching multiple engineering disciplines.
- Technical team leadership experience.
- Experience in Aerospace and Defense development environments
- Experience with developing the Architecture of Systems of Systems in multiple domains (Air, Ground, Sea, Space).
- Experience in the Space Domain.
- Experience with System Architectures that enable variable levels of automation.
- Experience with capability roadmaps and developing supporting system architecture from IOC to FOC.
- Experience with advancing subsystems or components in IRL, TRL, SERL levels.
- Experience with DoD Open Architecture Management Standards and associated Universal Command and Control Interface (UCI) and the Open Mission Systems (OMS) Standards.
- Experience with multi-domains/multi-segments (i.e. Flight/Displays & Control/Mission) on a single platform.
- Applied experience as a System Engineer or a System Integrator employed at a prime contractor supporting the prime program.
- Applied holistic system engineering professional experience on a major weapon system.
- Experience in Operations & Supports (O&S) or System Test (i.e. Air Domain = Flight Test of a Vehicle) of a major weapon system.
- Experience developing Architecture to support multiple Blocks and/or for Block Upgrades.
- Experience utilizing leveraged equipment in System Architecture development.
- Experience utilizing existing message ICDs and EIDs in System Architecture development.
- Experience with systems engineering performance and management tools, such as JIRA, Confluence, Sharepoint, GIT.
- Experience with early phases of the program development lifecycle, including architecture definition, requirements development and preliminary design.
- Experience or certification in INCOSE standards.
- Familiarity with UAF and/or DoDAF framework(s) and associated design products.
This position requires current/active Secret U.S. Security Clearance. U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance for employment. Non-U.S. Citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Department of Defense Consolidated Adjudications Facility (DoD CAF), a federal government agency, handles the adjudicative aspects of the security clearance eligibility process for industry applicants. Adjudicative factors which affect the outcome of the eligibility determination include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the U.S., foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and illegal drug use.
At Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) we deliver customer-focused technology and best-of-breed integrations in the aerospace and defense sectors. SNC has been honored as one of the most innovative U.S. companies in space, a Tier One Superior Supplier for the U.S. Air Force, and as one of America’s fastest-growing companies.
Estimated Starting Salary Range: $159,430.15 - $219,216.46
SNC offers annual incentive pay based upon performance that is commensurate with the level of the position.
SNC offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 6%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and .
To conform to U.S. Government international trade regulations, applicant must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.
At Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC), our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. SNC is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination. Employment decisions are made without regarding to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law. Contributions to SNC come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.