Special Assistant to the Research Directors
Allen Institute For Ai (Ai2)
Location: Seattle Washington Hybrid
Time: 1 week ago
Remote hybrid: Persons in these roles are expected to spend part of their time on-site in our Seattle offices and may occasionally work remotely from their home in the Greater Seattle area. On-site requirements vary based on position and team. If you have questions about Hybrid work arrangements for this role, please ask your recruiter.
Compensation Range: $91,310 - $129,660
Potential Bonus: 10%
Special Assistant to the Research Directors
Who You Are:
The Special Assistant to the Research Directors is a unique role within AI2’s org structure. This role will encompass high-level Project Management, Executive Assistant, and Special Projects responsibilities. Supporting a cross-functional team of four Research Directors, this role provides support and continuity allowing leads to focus on other core duties.
Your Next Challenge:
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Plan, track, and communicate team goals and paper submissions, ensuring there is always an up-to-date snapshot (in an easy-to-understand format) of everything going on within teams
- Plan team events (e.g., off-sites, social gatherings, etc.)
- Manage directors calendars, as needed
- Schedule and manage: team meetings/agendas, reading groups, invited speakers, resource bookings, intern proposals and timelines, etc.
- Oversee the job application review process and recommend improvements, as needed
- Draft and/or edit content, such as blog posts
- Team compute budget tracking
- Manage team project pages on the AI2 website
What You’ll Need:
- Demonstrated ability working in a cross-organizational capacity
- Strong organizational skills with impeccable attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Superior time management skills and ability to keep others on task
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to work independently
- Proficiency with project management tools and software
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant experience.
- 5-7 years of experience supporting high-level executives in a fast-paced environment
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
- Occasionally required to remain seated in a normal position for long periods of time.
- Regularly required to walk short distances
- Regularly required to maintain balance while walking, standing, crouching, or running.
- Routinely required to reach up and out with hands and arms.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
A Little More About AI2:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 200+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. You may view the related compliance poster and the by clicking on their corresponding links.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to employees and applicants with disabilities to the full extent required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you feel you need a reasonable accommodation pursuant to the ADA, you are encouraged to contact us at
- Team members and their families are covered by medical, dental, vision, basic life insurance, basic accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, and an employee assistance program.
- Team members are able to enroll in our voluntary life insurance program, our voluntary accidental death and dismemberment program, our health savings account plan, our healthcare reimbursement arrangement plan, and our health care and dependent care flexible spending account plans.
- Team members are able to enroll in our company’s 401k plan.
- Team members will receive $125 per month to assist with commuting or internet expenses and are eligible to receive up to $150 reimbursement for health and wellbeing expenses per month.
- Team members will also receive up to ten sick days per year, up to seven personal days per year, up to 20 vacation days per year and twelve paid holidays throughout the calendar year.
- Team members will be able to receive annual bonuses and can participate in the long-term incentive plan.
Note: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the team members(s) of this position. Team members will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the team member(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an at will relationship.